Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New Google subway ad advocates burning beetles alive.

(click ad)
This version of the ad was scanned from this week's New Yorker, but I first saw it on my morning A train ride yesterday. Yes, Google ads are now all over the NYC subway trains, as part of their new "good to know" campaign. They're starting to spend some big ad $s. I like the illustration style. But that mega-magnifying glass is going to scorch that poor beetle. Seriously, I think the ads are OK, nothing special. They do a decent job of elevating Google Search over other engines (Bing)—seemingly the goal of the campaign. Previously: Hey Look! Google's running very bizarre print ads in Turkey.

8 Comments:

Blogger Vinnie said...

I get that, say, Skype may want to advertise itself, but why Google Search?? The illustrations are cool. As for what they claim in the copy, I am pretty sure Bing or Yahoo Search will do an equally good job of figuring out what you are really searching for. Doing Google ads = the easiest job ever.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the real purpose is to make people ok with google sharing and storing search data. They are trying to demonstrate how it is helpful to the end use for them to use past search information and personal information to fulfill a search request with a high percentage of hitting the mark.

10:44 AM  
Blogger llcooljessie said...

I agree with Anon. I think the campaign is designed to assuage their appearance as "big brother." But it's so subtle that even Copyranter missed it!

11:21 AM  
Blogger copyranter said...

Yes, agreed. But they're also trying to recruit new users; they surprisingly only own about 65% of the US search market (it's higher in other countries).

11:29 AM  
Blogger JB said...

Altavista works just fine. Thank you.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like he's putting his p**** in the gas tank

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These past few days I thought I was gonna die of boredom, and you just saved me with your decent *jog.

3:48 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

Fucking Tw*t, I mean C*nt.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home