Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hey UPS? Your Indonesian ad agency stole an idea.


(click images) (L) To promote United Parcel Service's express delivery, ad agency Ogilvy & Mather Jakarta says they built and placed these "striking" installations in high pedestrian traffic areas around the city. Pretty cool looking. (R) "Pedestrian" (wood and paint, 2007) by Brooklyn-based sculptor Ryan Johnson (found here, scroll down). Jury of me says: guilty. Thanks to an anon AOTW commenter for the tip. Ad agencies don't just steal from artists. They also usurp copyrighted pop culture images. And use celebrities without permission. And of course, they steal from each other all the time.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there---I believe a post for the site I edit, Co.Design, was the first to notice this: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662181/ups-rips-off-artist-for-outdoor-ad-campaign

Check it out, for comments from UPS and Ogilvy. We've also heard from Johnson and will be seeking comment from him as well.

7:04 AM  
Blogger copyranter said...

I didn't see your post. I got my info from Ads Of The World, as noted. But thanks for the update.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous tom said...

I don't know, they both seem like derivatives of the running man statue in Athens: http://family.webshots.com/photo/2283416000097039569aEZjRL

10:31 PM  
Blogger Kevin Burke said...

It might have been coincidental, except they even copied the small "kickstand" feature!!

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Kumiko Ide said...

Interestingly, Ryan Johnson also attended the Jakarta International School (he was in the graduating class a few years ahead of me). I notice that he made reference to this connection in his statement to fastcodesign.com, as well.

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home